Treat Shoulder Pain Effectively in Gladstone, MO
Shoulder pain may be chronic or acute, but no matter what form it comes in, it is a symptom of an underlying disorder or injury that can interfere with your lifestyle. Our office believes in using functional medicine as an approach to help you enjoy a full range of activities at home, at the gym, and at work, which means we look for root causes to address permanently rather than temporarily alleviating the basic symptom of pain. Contact Northland Physical Medicine to make an appointment with our team of specialists. We’ll help you understand your own body and choose from a range of treatment options to eliminate not only the pain, but also the real issue that’s creating the problem.
Discovering the real source of pain
Before taking care of shoulder pain, we evaluate the cause to see how we can prevent its recurrence. Most shoulder pain can be categorized into four main causes:
- Fractured or broken bone: This acute form of injury is quite serious, but sometimes, minor fractures go unnoticed or misdiagnosed without the help of a professional. Continuing to use your injured shoulder and arm can exacerbate the problem.
- Instability and dislocations: This is another form of injury where the top of the arm bone is forced out of its normal position in the shoulder socket. While a medical professional can push the bone back into place, it’s critical to see a specialist to ensure the injury heals safely and full motion is restored to your arm.
- Tendon inflammation or tearing: Bursitis, tendinitis, and tearing all involve painful inflammation in different forms; in order to treat the pain effectively, an experienced specialist needs to identify what type of tendon issue is causing the pain.
- Arthritis: Arthritis causes swelling, pain, and stiffness in affected joints, and it’s not limited exclusively to middle aged patients.
The risk of self-diagnosis and treatment
As discussed, shoulder pain itself isn’t realty the problem; there is an underlying injury, disorder, or lifestyle that creates the problem and causes the pain. Since not all shoulder pain is the same, it’s important to see a professional to determine the type of injury or root cause giving you pain, and then address that problem as well as effectively minimize the painful symptoms. If you try to self-diagnose using online information or videos, you won’t get the personalized evaluation from an expert and you may end up treating pain from an ergonomic issue at work as if it was caused by a sports injury.
Northland Physical Medicine also discourages patients from seeking over-the-counter medication as a way to “treat” the problem, because this is merely a temporary alleviation of a symptom, not a solution to the problem. In these self-treatment scenarios, the best possible outcome is minor temporary relief that quickly reverts to chronic or acute pain. The worst potential outcome is that you accidentally treat the wrong problem or leave an issue unresolved, causing further harm or injury to your shoulder.
So if you notice any kind of shoulder pain, from a dull ache to an acute jab, please visit Northland Physical Medicine. We’ll provide a personalized examination that takes into account your daily lifestyle and medical history, and use a combination of functional medicine and therapy to truly correct your individual problem to eliminate pain.
Get professional treatment today; call our team!
The Finest Quality Care
- Emergencies Welcome
- Most Insurances Accepted
- Advanced X-Ray Techniques
- Convenient Hours of Operation
- State-of-the-Art Treatment Centers
- Most Advanced Treatment Protocols Offered